Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Make your own Olympic Medals

I made hand made olympic medals from modeling clay.  It was very quick and easy.   



The supplies I used where, Sculpey white clay, Alphabet and Star stamp, 2 different sized cookie circle fondant cutters, straw and ribbon.  You can subsititute regular cookie cutters and bead for the star stamp. I used a rolling pin to flatten the clay and a cutting board for a clean surface.




The first step is to clean off your surface as small particles can get trapped in the clay.  I used a large cutting board.  I had the birthday girl form and make the clay balls. 



Then I flattended out the clay ball into the desired thinkness with a rolling pin.  



Then I cut out the circle using a fondant circle cutter.  



Next, I used a straw to cut out the whole for the ribbon to go through.  



Then I fllipped it over and did the backside first with the olympic rings.  I used a smaller fondant circle cutter. I used the blunt end of it as the sharp end went straight through the clay. I did this side first as the other side is the front of the medal.



I used alphabet stamps and a star bead. I bought a star stamp but it was too large. My husband recommended I dip the star into flour as the bead sticks to the clay. He also glued it to the end of a piece of plastic because when I was digging the bead back out I was marking the clay with my long fingernails. I dipped it in flour each time I used it and then I made sure to dust all the flour off before spray painting them.



I followed the instructions on the clay package to bake them. I let them cool off before the next step.



My husband spray painted them on a wood board outside.  . 




Next I put the ribbon through the whole and tied it in a knot.  This was the easiest and most effective. I wanted to do a fancy loop but ribbon is not cheap and I made about 50 of these.



No comments:

Post a Comment